Monday, August 4, 2008

The Heat

(I drink at least one of these jugs of tea every day.)

It is 97 degrees now, with a "feels like" index of 110 degrees.

All I can say is that the heat in Missouri is different from the heat in Florida.

Yeah, it’s hot, and I can’t see anything more than little wisps of clouds in the sky today. The heat is more intense than in Florida – more like a sauna. When we walk Jubilee later in the day, we come home drenched in sweat. Nightly walks in South Florida are balmy, delightfully breezy – tropical. Here, it’s just hot.

At midday, with no cloud cover, it’s bright here -but more clear than the "glare" of summer middays in Florida. It must have something to do with the water in the air.

Florida is definitely more humid, all the way around. The air is thick in Florida, and I’ve never so much as noticed humidity here, though everyone else complains of it. In fact, it feels "dry" to me.

But the heat is not constant here, like in Florida. After a couple of hot days, a thunderstorm will come through and cool everything down so that you might get a day where it never goes above 75, and the nights are in the 60’s.

One thing that has me baffled is the thermostat. In Florida, we keep our air-conditioning set at 80 degrees, and except for some nightly hot flashes that cause me to turn it down to 78, we are comfortable. 78 is downright cold. Here we keep the thermostat at 75, turn it to 72 or 73 and night, and it’s still hot for sleeping. I don’t get it.

Needless to say, I am anxiously awaiting the day when I can turn the air-conditioner off for good and open the windows!

No comments: